Gluten Free & Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
Here is a super simple and quick cookie recipe to whip up.
I got addicted to some Paleo Choc Chip Cookies from my local health food store and decided it was time to create my own. I read a whole bunch of different recipes and then decided to freestyle my own. I have been tweaking this one for awhile now, trying it with an egg, without, with gluten free flour, different sweeteners... I've never had a bad batch yet, so do feel free to use this as a base and just experiment with different add-ins to make your ultimate dream cookie. This version here is my favourite to date. You can cook these cookies using an egg and the cookies will be more dense and will expand less when cooked- this is still delicious. However, in this version I have replaced the egg with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of bi-carb and it makes the cookies expand and fluff out a little more. I love the texture! Have fun with it!
2 cups of Almond Meal
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (if you can't find vegan choc chips just buy a block or dark vegan chocolate and chop it up into chunks)
1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
3 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
1/3 cup of coconut sugar (you can use brown sugar but coconut is a bit better for you)
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Egg replacement/ egg:
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of bi-carb
(or 1 egg)
1. Mix Dry (ish) ingredients together
2. Mix wet ingredients together
3. Combine vinegar and bi-carb together mix and then add to wet ingredients (or add egg... making sure your coconut oil is not hot from melting it or it might cook your egg!)
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients
5. Work the dough into balls and flatten lightly on a baking tray lined with baking paper. It is a very wet mixture so don't be worried about that as long as you can form it into cookie shapes.... if it is too soft just add a little more almond meal or gluten free flour.
6. Cooking times will vary depending on your oven and how you like your cookies. I like mine a little crisp on the outside and soft in the middle... I cook mine at 180 degrees in a fan forced oven with top and bottom element on. I check them after 7 minutes but usually keep them in between 10-13 mins. Keep checking them so they don't burn. Take out to cool and enjoy!